April 9, 2012

Homemade English Muffins



As I've mentioned before, I try to make as many things as I can from scratch.  But I will admit that the thought of making english muffins scared me.  I didn't think it was possible that they would actually come out like the kind you buy in the stores.  However, I saw several different recipes for english muffins and the pictures looked like the real thing so I figured I'd give it a try. After trying a few different recipes I did find one that was exactly like store bought english muffins....right down to the nooks and crannies we all love.

I no longer buy english muffins.  I make a batch of these about once a month, leave a couple out then freeze the rest.  I've been doing this for about a year now, and it has worked out well.  Just takes a little planning ahead, but it's worth it.  It makes me happy to know that I can give my family one more item they love that is not filled with preservatives.


Homemade English Muffins

2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
2 1/3 cups bread flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt

Combine yeast, sugar and half of the water in a small bowl. Stir with fork until yeast is dissolved and cover with a towel for 5 minutes, or until mixture starts to foam. Add remaining water and milk and cover for another 5 minutes.

In large bowl of electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine flours and salt. Add in the yeast mixture, and stir on low until just combined. Turn mixer on medium and knead for about 4-8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and soft.  Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic and a towel.  Allow to double in size, at least 90 minutes. The longer it's left to rise the better. I once let it rise for 4 hours and it ended up being the best batch muffins to date.

Punch down dough and remove it from the bowl onto a floured work surface. Divide into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball and place onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and spinkled with corn meal. Cover with towel and let rise for 30 minutes.

Heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium heat and lightly grease with cooking spray. Allow to cook on first side for about 10 minutes. The bottom should be dark golden brown. Turn and cook on second side for another 10 minutes.

21 comments:

  1. Did you use any rings or anything with these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not use anything. Just kinda rolled the dough around between my hands until it formed the shape of an english muffin. Rings would make it easier though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think you could do the first part of the recipe (all the way until the last rise) in the bread machine? I use it for everything including King Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah - I do not own a bread machine, so I am not sure about that. I'd give it a try though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thing about making English Muffins for yonks, thanks.

    BTW You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here all bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon. Different theme each month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you've encouraged me to make one myself! And yours look so splendid! Puffy and just Yumm....

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy. I am going to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these and they were wonderful! Definitely a keeper! It made 8 very large muffins next time I will halve the recipe and make 6.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made them and we are hooked. How will we ever eat store bought again? Looks like l'll be taking the time to make them again soon since they have disappeared so quickly. They barely made it to the breakfast table in the morning. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Little B, Its my first time here. You have a lovely Space!

    I have been searching for a good dependable recipe to make my own english muffins and I finally found it. I will definitely try them soon.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely goint to try these! But do you think i could let them rise overnight? Or would that be too long?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, overnight might be too long. However, I think it would be worth trying...you might be on to something there! Let me know how they come out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound really good, I'm going to try two batches, one of them I'll try adding some sourdough starter - I'm always looking to use it in something. Letting them sit overnight will probably give them a bit of a sour touch, I think that would be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look yummy. I do have a question, can I replace the All Purpose with Whole Wheat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used whole wheat flour but only 50%, then 50% all purpose. However, you never know unless you try so go for it and see how it turns out.

      Delete
  15. What do you think would be the best dairy replacement?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recipe Little B. As I have been making them I have made a few changes I wanted to share. To make them a bit healthier I use whole grain Kamut flour with added gluten, which turn out wonderfully, today I'm trying a batch with half Kamut and half Spelt. Also, I find it simpler to bake them on a cookie sheet in a 400degree oven, 8 minutes, flip them over, then about 8 more minutes or until golden. One of your commenters asked about an overnight rise, I let my dough slow rise in the refrigerator, in the morning the dough is stiff right out of the fridge so I can roll it out into a log and slice each muffin like you would refrigerator cookies, and dip them into corn meal, this makes them a breeze to shape. Just let them come up to room temperature, covered, on the cookie sheet to let them rise a bit then off to the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing all your tips - I'm sure it will be useful to many ☺

      Delete


  17. I want to tell the world about a great man called Dr. Robinson buckler cured my husband and I from Herpes simplex with herbal medicine. My husband and I have was suffering from Herpes simplex for the past four (4) years. We have tried so many solutions with no result. One fateful day while browsing through the internet I saw a testimony of a client who got cured from herpes by Dr. Robinson buckler through herbal medicine so I decided to give a try. A try that changed our life for good. I contacted Dr. Robinson buckler and he sent some herbal medicine to us, which we took for 14 days. It was a great surprise when we went for a test and the test result came out negative., Dr. Robinson buckler brought joy into my family again. His result is 100% guaranteed. certainly the best online. YESS! SO.MUCH.YES. I love this, it’s exactly what i prayed for!.. it’s unbelievable! ....Thank you!! Very well!.. You contact him on his email. [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com].....

    ReplyDelete